Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Late night pondering...

I think inside my head.

Woah. Profound right? My love interest and I were talking back and forth this evening and I realized something. More, he taught me something about myself that I hadn't realized yet--not completely anyway. And learning about me helps me learn about others. Another window, another perspective, another frame of mind.

I've always had a hard time communicating my thoughts. I rather wish that I could take the feelings in my heart and somehow just pick them up and put them in another persons hands so they could feel what I'm feeling. Articulating those feelings isn't always easy for me. Not that I'm an awkward stuttering geek. I can talk just fine and I share my feelings alright....the depth just isn't always shared as well as I wish.

Growing up I used to leave notes in my dad's briefcase or suitcase when he left on trips. Little notes about how great I thought he was or how much I would miss him. To me, writing a letter was special. A little piece of me, I suppose. Something substantial to remember and read and know the love that was in my heart. I doubt I've changed much from my little girl days. I don't hide letters in pockets and zippers like I used to, but I think, many times, I articulate my love better via the written word.

For instance. I'll talk to my long-distance-love-interest on the phone and try to tell him why I love him. I stumble through my thoughts and scramble for the list of "whys." I'm fairly sure he gets the point. Later on, however, after we've said our goodbyes and good nights, I'll think of smoother more romantic ways to have shared my feelings to him. (I usually end up texting him why he's just the best man ever... I'm sure text messages just make him weak at the knees...) On the other hand, he always beats me to the punch and says countless sickening-sweet things to me that would make any girl melt like a popsicle on the fourth of July. (lucky, I know) It's so easy for him to let the words tumble out his mouth and somehow they sound beautiful...

To get to the point. Humans are the same. We think in our heads and then we speak with our mouth. But the way we all communicate is so different and unique. I've only stated two examples (of course they would be about me and my love interest--like those are the only two important things on earth....) but knowing just these two differences make me want to pay attention to others and the way they communicate. I also realize that love is recieved differently by everyone....I want to try to communicate that love in the way the other person recieves it best....not just the way I do....

Ah, the adventures of learning. If you fell asleep, you can wake up now, I'm finished with my desultory ways...for tonight.

Sleep tight. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment